What to Do After a Car Accident in Springfield, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Springfield, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Springfield, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and financial damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Springfield, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Springfield, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Springfield, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Springfield, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Springfield, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Springfield, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Springfield, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get maximum compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Springfield, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Springfield, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Springfield, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Springfield, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Springfield, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Springfield, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Springfield, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Springfield, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Springfield, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Springfield, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Springfield, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.