What to Do After a Car Accident in Valley Park, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Valley Park, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Valley Park, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause significant physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Valley Park, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring the average person in Valley Park, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Valley Park, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Valley Park, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Valley Park, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Valley Park, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Valley Park, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive maximum compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Valley Park, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Valley Park, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Valley Park, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Valley Park, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Valley Park, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Valley Park, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Valley Park, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Valley Park, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Valley Park, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Valley Park, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Valley Park, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.