What to Do After a Car Accident in High Hill, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Hill, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in High Hill, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in High Hill, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring the average person in High Hill, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in High Hill, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in High Hill, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your High Hill, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My High Hill, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in High Hill, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get full compensation and protect your future.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in High Hill, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in High Hill, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in High Hill, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced High Hill, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your High Hill, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced High Hill, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced High Hill, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in High Hill, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in High Hill, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in High Hill, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote High Hill, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.