What to Do After a Car Accident in Festus, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Festus, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Festus, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can cause considerable physical, mental and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Festus, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Festus, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Festus, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Festus, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Festus, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Festus, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Festus, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your rights.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Festus, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Festus, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Festus, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Festus, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Festus, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Festus, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Festus, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Festus, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Festus, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Festus, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Festus, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Festus, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.