Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Festus, MO
Festus, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Festus, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Festus, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Festus, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Festus, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Festus, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Festus, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Festus, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Festus, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Festus, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Festus, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the causes of your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Festus, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Festus, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Festus, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Festus, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and skilled Festus, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Festus, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Festus, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Festus, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Festus, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Festus, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their profession to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Festus, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.