What to Do After a Car Accident in Bourbon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bourbon, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Bourbon, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can lead to considerable physical, emotional and economic damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Bourbon, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring that those injured in Bourbon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Bourbon, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Bourbon, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Bourbon, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Bourbon, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Bourbon, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your future.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Bourbon, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Bourbon, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Bourbon, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Bourbon, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Bourbon, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Bourbon, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Bourbon, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Bourbon, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Bourbon, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Bourbon, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Bourbon, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.