What to Do After a Car Accident in Vandalia, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Vandalia, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Vandalia, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can lead to significant physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Vandalia, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring that those injured in Vandalia, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Vandalia, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Vandalia, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Vandalia, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Vandalia, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Vandalia, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get maximum compensation and protect your future.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Vandalia, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is a dispute over who caused accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Vandalia, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Vandalia, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Vandalia, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Vandalia, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Vandalia, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Vandalia, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Vandalia, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Vandalia, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Vandalia, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Vandalia, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Vandalia, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.