What to Do After a Car Accident in Manchester, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Manchester, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Manchester, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They are always unexpected, and can cause devastating physical, mental and economic burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Manchester, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring everyday people in Manchester, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Manchester, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Manchester, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Manchester, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Manchester, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Manchester, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Manchester, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Manchester, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Manchester, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Manchester, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Manchester, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Manchester, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Manchester, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Manchester, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Manchester, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Manchester, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Manchester, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.