Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Manchester, MO
Manchester, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Manchester, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Manchester, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Manchester, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Manchester, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Manchester, MO to ensure the ideal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Manchester, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to provide as few money as achievable. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful duty to pay you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make errors or miss important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Manchester, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial consultation through a jury or bench trial.
Manchester, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy points to the terrible destruction people can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Manchester, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Manchester, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Manchester, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Manchester, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Manchester, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Each claim is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Manchester, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, your Manchester, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Manchester, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Manchester, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and knowledgeable Manchester, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Manchester, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Manchester, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Manchester, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to help you get better physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, schedule a visit to your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always recommended to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Manchester, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Manchester, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Manchester, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Manchester, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.