What to Do After a Car Accident in Fenton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fenton, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Fenton, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Fenton, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring the average person in Fenton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Fenton, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Fenton, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Fenton, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Fenton, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Fenton, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Fenton, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Fenton, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Fenton, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Fenton, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Fenton, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Fenton, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced Fenton, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Fenton, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Fenton, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Fenton, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Fenton, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Fenton, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.