What to Do After a Car Accident in Union, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Union, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Union, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in modern society. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Union, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Union, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Union, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Union, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Union, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Union, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Union, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get maximum compensation and protect your future.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Union, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Union, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Union, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Union, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Union, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Union, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Union, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Union, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Union, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Union, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Union, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Union, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.