What to Do After a Car Accident in Webster Groves, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Webster Groves, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Webster Groves, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Webster Groves, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring that those injured in Webster Groves, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Webster Groves, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Webster Groves, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Webster Groves, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Webster Groves, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Webster Groves, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Webster Groves, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Webster Groves, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Webster Groves, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Webster Groves, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Webster Groves, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Webster Groves, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Webster Groves, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Webster Groves, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Webster Groves, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Webster Groves, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Webster Groves, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Webster Groves, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.