Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Webster Groves, MO
Webster Groves, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Webster Groves, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Webster Groves, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Webster Groves, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Webster Groves, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The deviation speaks to the terrible damage drivers can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Webster Groves, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Webster Groves, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Webster Groves, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Webster Groves, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Webster Groves, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Each case is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Webster Groves, MO roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement played a part in your accident, your Webster Groves, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Webster Groves, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Webster Groves, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and talented Webster Groves, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Webster Groves, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Webster Groves, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Webster Groves, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Webster Groves, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Webster Groves, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Webster Groves, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.