What to Do After a Car Accident in Versailles, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Versailles, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Versailles, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Versailles, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring the average person in Versailles, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Versailles, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Versailles, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Versailles, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Versailles, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Versailles, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Versailles, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Versailles, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Versailles, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Versailles, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Versailles, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Versailles, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Versailles, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Versailles, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Versailles, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Versailles, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Versailles, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.