What to Do After a Car Accident in Eureka, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eureka, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Eureka, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They are always unanticipated, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Eureka, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring the average person in Eureka, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Eureka, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Eureka, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Eureka, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Eureka, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Eureka, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Eureka, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Eureka, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Eureka, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Eureka, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Eureka, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Eureka, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Eureka, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Eureka, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Eureka, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Eureka, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Eureka, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Eureka, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.