Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eureka, MO
Eureka, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eureka, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eureka, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Eureka, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Eureka, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident deaths. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Eureka, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist simply did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Eureka, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Eureka, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Eureka, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Eureka, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Eureka, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Eureka, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Eureka, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Eureka, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and skilled Eureka, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Eureka, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Eureka, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Eureka, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eureka, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Eureka, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Eureka, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.