What to Do After a Car Accident in New Florence, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | New Florence, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in New Florence, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and economic hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in New Florence, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring everyday people in New Florence, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in New Florence, MO
Being in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in New Florence, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your New Florence, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My New Florence, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in New Florence, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in New Florence, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in New Florence, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in New Florence, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced New Florence, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your New Florence, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced New Florence, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced New Florence, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in New Florence, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in New Florence, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in New Florence, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote New Florence, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.