Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in New Florence, MO
New Florence, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | New Florence, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in New Florence, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in New Florence, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the New Florence, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in New Florence, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist simply was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your New Florence, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from New Florence, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped New Florence, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the New Florence, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in New Florence, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our New Florence, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your New Florence, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My New Florence, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote New Florence, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and knowledgeable New Florence, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in New Florence, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our New Florence, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in New Florence, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in New Florence, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our New Florence, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are owed. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in New Florence, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.