What to Do After a Car Accident in Bonne Terre, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bonne Terre, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Bonne Terre, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They are always unexpected, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Bonne Terre, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Bonne Terre, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Bonne Terre, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Bonne Terre, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Bonne Terre, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Bonne Terre, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Bonne Terre, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Bonne Terre, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Bonne Terre, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Bonne Terre, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Bonne Terre, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Bonne Terre, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Bonne Terre, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Bonne Terre, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Bonne Terre, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Bonne Terre, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Bonne Terre, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.