What to Do After a Car Accident in Alton, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Alton, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Alton, IL. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to significant physical, emotional and economic damage. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Alton, IL, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Alton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Alton, IL
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Alton, IL or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Alton, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Alton, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Alton, IL with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Alton, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Alton, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Alton, IL Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Alton, IL car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Alton, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Alton, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Alton, IL car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Alton, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Alton, IL include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Alton, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Alton, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.