What to Do After a Car Accident in Jefferson City, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Jefferson City, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Jefferson City, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and economic burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Jefferson City, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring the average person in Jefferson City, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free case review.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Jefferson City, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Jefferson City, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Jefferson City, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Jefferson City, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Jefferson City, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Jefferson City, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Jefferson City, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Jefferson City, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Jefferson City, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Jefferson City, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Jefferson City, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Jefferson City, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Jefferson City, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Jefferson City, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Jefferson City, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Jefferson City, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.