What to Do After a Car Accident in Hallsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hallsville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Hallsville, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Hallsville, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Hallsville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Hallsville, MO
Being in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Hallsville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Hallsville, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Hallsville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Hallsville, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Hallsville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Hallsville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Hallsville, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Hallsville, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Hallsville, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Hallsville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Hallsville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Hallsville, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Hallsville, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Hallsville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Hallsville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.