What to Do After a Car Accident in Macon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Macon, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Macon, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can cause considerable physical, emotional and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Macon, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring that those injured in Macon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free case review.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Macon, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Macon, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Macon, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Macon, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Macon, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Macon, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Macon, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Macon, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Macon, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Macon, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Macon, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Macon, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Macon, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Macon, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Macon, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Macon, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.