Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO
Macon, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Macon, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Macon, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Macon, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Macon, MO to ensure the best possible outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Macon, MO can give support in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to pay as minimal money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their legal duty to compensate you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or miss critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Macon, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Macon, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in traffice-related deaths. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Macon, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Macon, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Macon, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Macon, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Macon, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Macon, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, your Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Macon, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and talented Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Macon, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you heal physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, schedule a visit to your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. The majority of injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Macon, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Macon, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Macon, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.