Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO
Macon, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Macon, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Macon, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Macon, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the horrible damage people can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Macon, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Macon, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Macon, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Macon, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Macon, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Macon, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Macon, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Macon, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Macon, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Macon, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, infuriating and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Macon, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Macon, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.