Premises Liability Attorneys Macon, MO
Macon, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Review | Macon, MO Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Macon, MO. Anyone who owns or operates a property in Macon, MO has an obligation to ensure their property is reasonably safe for people who are legally on it. Unfortunately, a lot of times they fail in that responsibility, and good people are injured through the property owner's negligence. When that happens, you need experienced Macon, MO premises liability attorneys to get you the full financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are committed to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and everyday people every day. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard to see our clients get the justice and recognition they deserve. Call our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case review.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability almost equally: A property owner has an obligation to warn against or repair a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they fail in that responsibility, they are responsible for any injuries sustained because of the poorly maintained property.
The states are different in one very important aspect, and it concerns the duty of care property owners must give different kinds of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Macon, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between three classes of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is visiting the premises to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can be people dining at a restaurant or hotel guests. Invitees can also be considered people on property the public is allowed to be on, such as recreational areas or a library. Those in control of the property can be held accountable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's consent, but the owner doesn't get any express benefit from their presence. This can mean a family member staying at your house, but the law might apply to someone who came into a store just to ask for directions. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for hazards they had express knowledge of – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the site without consent of the property owner. Because of that, they do not have the same rights as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are two exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, a landowner can still be liable for a trespasser's injuries if the landowner acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to exist because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, the trespasser may be able to sue the owner.
- Under the attractive nuisance doctrine, a child who is trespassing may be considered an invitee. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or power tools. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the child and their family can make a claim for compensation.
Do I Have a Premises Liability Claim in Macon, MO?
With all personal injury claims, you must prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager have a duty to protect you from unreasonable dangers? The degree of the property owner's or manager's responsibility to keep you safe depends on whether you're a invitee, licensee or trespasser and your jurisdiction. Typically, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their responsibility, that constitutes a violation of that obligation. That could mean not fixing a broken staircase, or not putting a "wet floor" sign out.
- Causation — Did the dangerous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because somebody ran into you, it's likely not the property owner's fault. Similarly, if you didn't see warning signs because you were looking at your phone, the property owner may argue that your inattention caused your injuries, not the dangerous condition.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you need to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show financial loss, such as lost wages and medical bills, to make a claim for emotional harm and pain and suffering. If you sustained a bruise, but didn't need medical attention or miss any time off work, you likely do not have enough to make a case.
Halvorsen Klote's Macon, MO premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you have any doubts about the validity of your claim, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, call one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Most Common Premises Liability Claims in Macon, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for 33% of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls are responsible for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the number one reason people need to lose days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Slippery floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose wiring
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
Inadequate Security often arises in apartment complexes, office buildings or hotels. The owners of these properties must take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous people don't have access to the building, or certain areas of it. Examples of proper security could include security guards or requiring a code to enter the premises. Generally, negligent security claims are filed after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll typically need to file a civil lawsuit – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner in order to get justice in the form of financial compensation.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the primary cause of fatalities in children between one and four years old. Public swimming pools need to have lifeguards, and have strict measures to protect children from injuring themselves.
In 2016, approximately 30,900 people went to the emergency room for injuries sustained at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electric shocks structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Macon, MO premises liability attorneys will hold them accountable.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Macon, MO laws are strict when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Macon, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from poor handling of flammabale materials to missing or broken sprinkler systems.
Construction sites need to be coned or roped off with sufficient warning signage. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can make a claim against the construction company.
However you sustained your injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager was negligent, call Halvorsen Klote's Macon, MO premises liability attorneys for the best possible financial recovery you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Recover For My Macon, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
The value of your claim depends on the financial, physical and emotional toll your injuries cause. With experienced Macon, MO premises liability attorneys, you'll be compensated for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if you can no longer make a living as you used to, or have to work less hours
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, disability, disfigurement and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability injuries are worth depends mostly on the severity of your injuries, how they have affected your life and the skill and experience of your Macon, MO premises liability attorneys.
How Macon, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Can Help
When it comes to pursuing a premises liability case, the role of a lawyer is essential. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your injuries and develop a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance logs, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or video footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and answer any question you may have
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on healing
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Represent you in court if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Macon, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call Halvorsen Klote's Macon, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The idea of having to fight back against a powerful corporation can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, you deserve full compensation. We've dedicated our careers to helping the average person get the same high-quality legal representation as the people who injured them. If you were injured because of a Macon, MO property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.