Premises Liability Attorneys Camdenton, MO
Camdenton, MO Personal Injury Law Firm
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Evaluation | Camdenton, MO Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Camdenton, MO. Anyone who owns or operates a property in Camdenton, MO has a responsibility to take reasonable measures to prevent injuries on the premises. Unfortunately, a lot of times they fail in that responsibility, and innocent people who did nothing wrong get hurt. When that happens, you need knowledgeable Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys to fight for your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are dedicated to offering injury victims the same excellent legal representation as large corporations and insurance companies. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard to see our clients get the justice and recognition they deserve. Call our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
The laws in each state are largely similar: A property owner has an obligation to inform people of or fix a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they don't, they are responsible for any injuries suffered as a result of the poorly maintained property.
The states do differ in one very important way, and it concerns the duty of care owed to different types of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Camdenton, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between three classes of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone whose presence on the property benefits the property owner or manager. This can be people dining at a restaurant or hotel guests. Invitees can also be considered people on property the public is allowed to be on, for example recreational areas or a library. Those in control of the property can be held accountable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's permission, but the owner doesn't get any express benefit from their presence. These can be social guests, but the law might apply to someone who stopped into an establishment just to use the restroom. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for hazards they had express knowledge of – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the site illegally. Therefore, they do not have the same protections as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are a couple of exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, a property owner can still owe compensation for a trespasser's injuries if the landowner acted with "willful and wanton conduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to exist because they wanted to injure a trespasser, they can still be held accountable.
- Under the attractive nuisance principle, a child who is trespassing may be considered an invitee. An "attractive nuisance" is something about the property that could make a child want to enter the property. Examples could be swimming pools, ladders or construction projects. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the child and their family can make a claim for compensation.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Camdenton, MO?
With all personal injury claims, you must prove the following four elements in order to win a claim for negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager have a responsibility to prevent unreasonable risks of injury? The degree of a landowner's responsibility to keep you safe depends on what kind of visitor you are and what state you're in. Typically, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their obligation, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not fixing a broken staircase, or not putting a "wet floor" sign out.
- Causation — Did the dangerous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because you were running, you may not be able to show that the property owner was negligent. Likewise, if you didn't see an obvious hazard because you weren't looking where you were going, you might not be able to make a claim.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you have to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show economic loss, such as lost wages and medical bills, to get a financial recovery for emotional distress and pain and suffering. If you sustained a bruise, but did not suffer any financial loss, you likely do not have enough to make a case.
Halvorsen Klote's Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you have any doubts about the validity of your claim, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys for free today at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Camdenton, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for a third of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls are responsible for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the number one reason people need to lose days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of adequate security could include security guards or requiring a code to enter the property. Generally, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security occur after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll typically need to take civil legal action – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the leading cause of fatalities in children between the ages of one and four. Public swimming pools need to have lifeguards, and fences and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, more than 30,000 people went to the emergency room for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Negligence can include mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electric shocks structural issues. Anybody who operates a theme park must ensure that the rides are properly designed, maintained, inspected and repaired. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys will hold them accountable.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Camdenton, MO laws are strict when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Camdenton, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from faulty wiring or gas leaks to leaving debris around heating units.
Construction companies have a responsibility to keep their construction zones safe. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was dangerous, you can make a claim against the construction company.
However you suffered your injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager did not keep their property safe, call Halvorsen Klote's Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys for the full financial recovery you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Receive For My Camdenton, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
How much your injuries worth depends on the economic, physical and mental hardships your accident caused. With knowledgeable Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure compensation:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning capacity if you can no longer work
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, permanent impairment, disfigurement and loss of consortium
How much money you get in your premises liability settlement will be based on the severity of your injuries, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Camdenton, MO premises liability attorneys.
How Camdenton, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Can Help
When it comes to pursuing a premises liability case, having a qualified lawyer on your side is essential. As part of our legal representation, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and develop a legal strategy that gets you the best possible results
- Obtain evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or video footage
- Interview witnesses, employees or others who may be familiar with the hazard
- Be available whenever you need us to be and answer any question you may have
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Take the fight to trial if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Camdenton, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Speak to Halvorsen Klote's Camdenton, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The notion of having to fight back against a large insurance company can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, nothing should be able to keep you from getting the financial recovery you deserve. We've committed our careers to helping the average person get the same expert legal representation as the people who injured them. If you were injured because of a Camdenton, MO property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.