Premises Liability Attorneys Sullivan, MO
Sullivan, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Review | Sullivan, MO Slip and Fall Law Firm
Premises liability attorneys in Sullivan, MO. Anyone who owns or operates a property in Sullivan, MO has an obligation to ensure their property is reasonably safe for patrons. But too often, they neglect that duty, and good people are injured through no fault of their own. When that happens, you need experienced Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys to get you the full financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are committed to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and injury victims every day. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a complimentary case review.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
The laws in each state are largely similar: A property owner has an obligation to inform people of or repair a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have been aware of through reasonable diligence. If they don't, they can be held liable for any injuries suffered as a result of the dangerous condition.
The states do differ in one very important way, and it concerns the duty of care owed to different categories of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Sullivan, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between invitees, licensees and trespassers:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone whose presence on the property benefits the property owner or manager. This can include people dining at a restaurant or someone watching a movie at a movie theater. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, for example bike paths or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's consent, but for personal, non-business reasons. This can mean a friend coming over for dinner, but the law might apply to someone who stopped into a store just to ask for directions. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for hazards they had express knowledge of; the "should have known" doctrine doesn't apply when a licensee is injured.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the premises without permission of the property owner. Because of that, they do not have the same rights as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are two exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, a property owner can still be liable for a trespasser's injuries if the landowner acted with "willful and wanton conduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to be there because they wanted to injure a trespasser, they can still be held liable.
- Under the attractive nuisance theory, property owners might be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or old appliances. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the family of the child may still sue the landowner for the child's injuries.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Sullivan, MO?
With all personal injury claims, you must demonstrate how the four elements of negligence are present in your case:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager owe you a duty of care to keep you from unreasonable harm? The extent of a landowner's duty of care depends on what kind of visitor you are and what state you're in. Typically, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their obligation, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not mopping up a wet spot on the floor, or not roping off a area of the property that isn't safe.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition cause or contribute to your injuries? If you fell because you had inappropriate footwear for the area, it's likely not the property owner's fault. Similarly, if you didn't notice warning signs because you were looking at your phone, the property owner may argue that your inattention caused your injuries, not the dangerous condition.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you need to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show economic harm, including lost wages and medical expenses, to make a claim for how the injury affected you physically and emotionally. If you sustained a minor cut, but did not suffer any financial loss, you likely do not have enough to make a case.
Halvorsen Klote's Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you want to see if you have a case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, call one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Most Common Premises Liability Lawsuit in Sullivan, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for a third of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls are responsible for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Slippery floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, office buildings or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of adequate security could include security guards or requiring a keycard to enter the building. Generally, negligent security claims occur after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the police and criminal courts are responsible for convicting the offender, you'll usually need to file a civil lawsuit – with the assistance of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner in order to get justice in the form of financial compensation.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the leading cause of fatalities in children under the age of five. Public swimming pools need to have lifeguards, and barriers and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, over 30,000 people went to the emergency room for injuries sustained at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, malfunctioning seat belts, electrician structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys will hold them accountable.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Sullivan, MO laws are strict when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Sullivan, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from poor handling of flammabale materials to leaving debris around heating units.
Construction companies have an obligation to keep their construction zones safe. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can hold the construction company accountable for premises liability.
However you suffered your injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager was negligent, call Halvorsen Klote's Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys for the best possible compensation you are owed.
What Compensation Can I Recover For My Sullivan, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
The damages you recover after a premises liability accident are meant to compensate you for the economic, physical and mental toll your injuries cause. With knowledgeable Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys, you'll be compensated for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if your accident results in permanent disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, disability, scarring and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability injuries are worth depends largely on how serious your injuries are, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Sullivan, MO premises liability attorneys.
The Role of Your Sullivan, MO Premises Liability Attorneys
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, the role of a lawyer is essential. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and develop a legal strategy that gets you the most compensation possible
- Obtain evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, previous complaints filed and/or video footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may be familiar with the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and keep you up-to-date on the status of your claim
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Take the liable party to court if we cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Sullivan, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Speak to Halvorsen Klote's Sullivan, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Now
The thought of going up against a powerful insurance company can be daunting to a lot of people. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, you deserve full compensation. We've dedicated our lives to helping the average person get the same excellent legal representation as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured because of a Sullivan, MO property owner's carelessness, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.