Premises Liability Attorneys Lebanon, MO
Lebanon, MO Personal Injury Law Firm
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Review | Lebanon, MO Slip and Fall Attorneys
Premises liability attorneys in Lebanon, MO. Anyone who is in control of a property in Lebanon, MO has a responsibility to ensure their property is reasonably safe for people who are legally on it. Unfortunately, a lot of times they neglect that duty, and innocent people who did nothing wrong get hurt. If you or a loved one was injured on public or private property, you need experienced Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys to fight for your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are devoted to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and everyday people every day. We take cases in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Call our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a complimentary case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
The laws in each state tend to be comparable in regards to property ownership and management: A property owner has a responsibility to warn against or repair a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they don't, they are responsible for any injuries suffered as a result of the poorly maintained property.
The states do differ in one key way, and it concerns the duty of care property owners must give different types of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Lebanon, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between three types of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone whose presence on the property benefits the property owner or manager. This can include a customer in a retail store or someone watching a movie at a movie theater. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, for example a park or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by hazards they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who has the permission of the property owner to be on the premises, but for personal, non-business reasons. This can mean a family member coming over for dinner, but the law might apply to someone who came into an establishment just to ask for directions. In Illinois, licensees have the same legal protections as invitees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for dangers they knew about – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the site illegally. Therefore, they do not have the same protections as the first two categories, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are two exceptions:
- Pursuant to Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, a landowner can still owe compensation for a trespasser's injuries if the landowner acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to exist because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, the trespasser may be able to sue the owner.
- Under the attractive nuisance doctrine, a child who is trespassing may be considered an invitee. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or old appliances. In this instance, the family of the child may still sue the landowner for the child's injuries.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Lebanon, MO?
With all personal injury claims, you must demonstrate how the four elements of negligence apply to your injuries:
- Duty of care — Did the landowner have a duty to protect you from unreasonable dangers? The degree of a landowner's duty of care depends on whether you're a invitee, licensee or trespasser and your jurisdiction. Generally, anybody who is legally on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their responsibility, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not fixing a broken railing, or not roping off a area of the property that has a dangerous condition.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition cause or contribute to your injuries? If you fell because you were running, you may not have a valid claim against the property owner. Similarly, if you didn't see warning signs because you were looking at your phone, you might not have a valid claim.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you need to have suffered harm. Usually, you need to show economic harm, including lost wages and medical expenses, to make a claim for emotional harm and pain and suffering. If you sustained a few bumps and scrapes, but had no expenses due to your injury, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you want to discuss your case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Lebanon, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is the number one most common nonfatal preventable injury. Slip and falls account for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
Negligent Security often arises in apartment buildings, office buildings or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of proper security could include a doorman or requiring a keycard to enter the building. Generally, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security occur after someone has been the victim of a crime. While the police and criminal courts are responsible for convicting the offender, you'll usually need to file a civil lawsuit – with the assistance of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the primary cause of death to children between one and four years old. Public swimming pools need to be properly supervised, and have strict measures to protect children from injuring themselves.
In 2016, over 30,000 people went to the emergency room for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Negligence can include mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electric shocks poor designs. Anybody who is in control of a theme park must ensure that the rides are properly designed, maintained, inspected and repaired. If you were injured because of their negligence, our Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and maximum compensation.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
There are strict laws for smoke detectors and fire exits in public, private and business properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Lebanon, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from faulty wiring or gas leaks to missing or broken smoke alarms.
Construction zones need to be secured with obvious warning signage. If you were injured in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can make a claim against the construction company.
However you suffered your injuries, if you were injured on someone else's property or in a public space, call Halvorsen Klote's Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys for the best possible financial recovery you're entitled to.
What Compensation Can I Recover For My Lebanon, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
The damages you recover after a premises liability accident are meant to compensate you for the economic, physical and emotional hardships your accident caused. With knowledgeable Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure compensation:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if you can no longer make a living as you used to, or have to work less hours
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, disability, disfigurement and loss of consortium
How much money you get in your premises liability settlement depends largely on the severity of your injuries, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Lebanon, MO premises liability attorneys.
The Role of Your Lebanon, MO Premises Liability Attorneys
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, the role of a lawyer is crucial. Your Halvorsen Klote premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your injuries and come up with a legal strategy that gets you the most compensation possible
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, previous complaints filed and/or surveillance footage
- Interview witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Be available whenever you need us to be and answer any question you may have
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Represent you in court if we cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Lebanon, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Reach Out to Halvorsen Klote's Lebanon, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Now
The notion of having to fight back against a large insurance company can be intimidating. But, if they or their policyholder caused you harm, you are entitled to full compensation. We've dedicated our practice to offering the injured the same high-quality legal advocacy as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured on someone else's property in Lebanon, MO, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.