Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, MO
Lebanon, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Lebanon, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Lebanon, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lebanon, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Lebanon, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Lebanon, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Lebanon, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Lebanon, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Lebanon, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Lebanon, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Lebanon, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Lebanon, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An experienced and talented Lebanon, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Lebanon, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Lebanon, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Lebanon, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lebanon, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Lebanon, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Lebanon, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.