Premises Liability Attorneys Belleville, IL
Belleville, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Evaluation | Belleville, IL Slip and Fall Law Firm
Premises liability attorneys in Belleville, IL. Property managers in Belleville, IL have a duty to ensure their property is reasonably safe for people who are legally on it. But too often, they neglect that duty, and innocent people who did nothing wrong get hurt. When that happens, you need knowledgeable Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys to fight for your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are dedicated to offering injury victims the same high-quality legal representation as large corporations and insurance companies. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has an obligation to warn against or repair a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they neglect that obligation, they are responsible for any injuries suffered because of the dangerous condition.
The states do differ in one key aspect, related to the duty of care owed to different types of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Belleville, IL Premises Liability Cases
The law differentiates between three types of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone whose presence on the property benefits the property owner or manager. This can include a customer in a retail store or someone shopping in a grocery store. Invitees can also be considered people on property the public is allowed to be on, for example recreational areas or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who has the permission of the property owner to be on the premises, but the owner doesn't get any express benefit from their presence. These can be social guests, but the law might apply to someone who came into an establishment just to ask for directions. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners can only be held accountable for dangers they knew about; the "should have known" standard doesn't apply when a licensee is injured.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the property without consent of the property owner. Because of that, they do not have the same rights as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are a couple of exceptions:
- Pursuant to Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton conduct." Meaning, if the owner created or maintained a hazardous condition because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, they can still be held accountable.
- Under the attractive nuisance principle, a child who is trespassing may be considered an invitee. An "attractive nuisance" is something present on the property that could be alluring to a child. Examples could be swimming pools, ladders or old appliances. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the child and their family can make a claim for compensation.
How Do I Prove a Premises Liability Claim in Belleville, IL?
With all personal injury claims, you must prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the landowner have a duty to keep you from unreasonable harm? The degree of the property owner's or manager's duty of care depends on what kind of visitor you are and what state you're in. Typically, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they neglect their obligation, that constitutes a breach of that duty. That could mean not mopping up a wet spot on the floor, or not roping off a area of the property that has a dangerous condition.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition cause or contribute to your injuries? If you fell because you had improper footwear for conditions, it's likely not the property owner's fault. Likewise, if you didn't see an obvious hazard because you weren't looking where you were going, you might not be able to make a claim.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you have to have suffered harm. Usually, you need to show financial harm, such as lost wages and medical expenses, to get a financial recovery for emotional distress and pain and suffering. If you sustained a bruise, but did not suffer any financial loss, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys have proven numerous premises liability claims. If you want to discuss your case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Most Common Premises Liability Claims in Belleville, IL
Slip and Falls
Falling is accounts for 33% of all nonfatal preventable injuries. Slip and falls are responsible for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose wiring
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of this could include a doorman or requiring a code to enter the premises. Generally, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security occur after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the police and criminal courts are responsible for convicting the offender, you'll usually need to file a civil lawsuit – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the primary cause of death to children between the ages of one and four. Public swimming pools must have lifeguards, and have strict measures to protect children from injuring themselves.
In 2016, more than 30,000 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Negligence can include mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electric shocks structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides are properly designed, maintained, inspected and repaired. If you were injured because of their negligence, our Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and maximum compensation.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
There are strict laws for smoke detectors and fire exits in public, private and business properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Belleville, IL premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from poor handling of flammabale materials to missing or broken smoke alarms.
Construction companies have an obligation to keep their construction zones safe. If you were injured in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was dangerous, you can hold the construction company accountable for premises liability.
Whatever the nature of your specific injuries, if you were injured on someone else's property or in a public space, call Halvorsen Klote's Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys for the maximum financial recovery you're entitled to.
What Compensation Can I Receive For My Belleville, IL Premises Liability Injuries?
How much your injuries worth depends on the economic, physical and emotional toll your injuries cause. With talented Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys, you'll be compensated for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if your accident results in permanent disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, disability, scarring and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability claim is worth will be based on how serious your injuries are, how they have affected your life and the skill and experience of your Belleville, IL premises liability attorneys.
How Belleville, IL Premises Liability Attorneys Can Help
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, having a qualified lawyer on your side is crucial. Your Halvorsen Klote premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your injuries and develop a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Obtain evidence, including maintenance logs, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or video footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and answer any question you may have
- Handle all documentation and litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Represent you in court if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Belleville, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Speak to Halvorsen Klote's Belleville, IL Premises Liability Attorneys Now
The thought of going up against a large insurance company can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, you deserve full compensation. We've devoted our lives to helping the average person get the same excellent legal representation as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured because of a Belleville, IL property owner's carelessness, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a complimentary consultation.