Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Belleville, IL
Belleville, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Belleville, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Belleville, IL. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation clients in Belleville, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Belleville, IL Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Belleville, IL?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Belleville, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Belleville, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Belleville, IL residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Belleville, IL area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Belleville, IL?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Belleville, IL roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Belleville, IL bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Belleville, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Belleville, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An accomplished and talented Belleville, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Belleville, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Belleville, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Belleville, IL:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Belleville, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Belleville, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are owed. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Belleville, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.