What to Do After a Car Accident in Belleville, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Belleville, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Belleville, IL. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to considerable physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Belleville, IL, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Belleville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Belleville, IL
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Belleville, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Belleville, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Belleville, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Belleville, IL with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your future.
There are many circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Belleville, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Belleville, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Belleville, IL car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Belleville, IL Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Belleville, IL car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Belleville, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Belleville, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Belleville, IL car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Belleville, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Belleville, IL include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Belleville, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Belleville, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.