What to Do After a Car Accident in Litchfield, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Litchfield, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Litchfield, IL. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, emotional and financial damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Litchfield, IL, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Litchfield, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Litchfield, IL
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and provide medical attention if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Litchfield, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Litchfield, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Litchfield, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Litchfield, IL and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive full compensation and protect your rights.
There are several situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Litchfield, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Litchfield, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Litchfield, IL Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Litchfield, IL car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Litchfield, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Litchfield, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Litchfield, IL car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Litchfield, IL, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Litchfield, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Litchfield, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Litchfield, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.