What to Do After a Car Accident in Weldon Spring, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Weldon Spring, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Weldon Spring, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Weldon Spring, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring the average person in Weldon Spring, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Weldon Spring, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Weldon Spring, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Weldon Spring, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Weldon Spring, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Weldon Spring, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Weldon Spring, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Weldon Spring, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Weldon Spring, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Weldon Spring, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Weldon Spring, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Weldon Spring, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Weldon Spring, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Weldon Spring, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Weldon Spring, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Weldon Spring, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Weldon Spring, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.