What to Do After a Car Accident in Ballwin, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ballwin, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Ballwin, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They are always unanticipated, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Ballwin, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring that those injured in Ballwin, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Ballwin, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and provide medical attention if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Ballwin, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Ballwin, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Ballwin, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Ballwin, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Ballwin, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Ballwin, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Ballwin, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Ballwin, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Ballwin, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Ballwin, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Ballwin, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Ballwin, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Ballwin, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Ballwin, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Ballwin, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.