What to Do After a Car Accident in Elsberry, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Elsberry, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Elsberry, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Elsberry, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring everyday people in Elsberry, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Elsberry, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Elsberry, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Elsberry, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Elsberry, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Elsberry, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get maximum compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Elsberry, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Elsberry, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Elsberry, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Elsberry, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Elsberry, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Elsberry, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Elsberry, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Elsberry, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Elsberry, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Elsberry, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.