Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis
Elsberry, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Elsberry, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Elsberry, MO. Pedestrian accidents can cause unthinkable damage that has the potential to affect you and your family for months, years or even the rest of your life. The Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer team serves the injured throughout Missouri and Southern Illinois by providing them with the accomplished legal advocacy that large insurance companies use to avoid paying people the compensation they're entitled to. We are here to defend your rights, hold the person or organization that hurt you responsible and secure you the full financial recovery you need to truly recover. Reach out to a Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics | Elsberry, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that, nationwide in 2019, 6,205 pedestrians were killed and 76,000 were injured.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Traffic Compendium, in 2020 in Missouri 132 non-passengers were killed in crashes and 1,314 pedestrians sustained injuries.
According to reporting from the Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics, in 2020 175 Illinois non-passengers died in crashes and 3,138 were harmed.
Do Pedestrians Always Have the Right of Way in Elsberry, MO?
While drivers owe everyone else on the Elsberry, MO roads a duty of care, pedestrians also have certain obligations under Illinois and Missouri laws:
- Under Missouri Revised Statute §300.375 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1002:
- Pedestrians must obey traffic signals.
- When there are no traffic signals, vehicles are required to yield to a pedestrian that is approaching halfway over the road.
- Pedestrians cannot suddenly enter traffic in a way that makes it impossible for a driver to yield.
- Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §300.390 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1003:
- If there is no crosswalk, and a pedestrian is not at an intersection, they must wait for vehicles to pass before stopping.
- Pedestrians must wait for vehicles to pass if they are crossing on a road where a pedestrian tunnel has been placed.
- In both states, you cannot go between adjacent intersections where traffic signals are present except at a crosswalk.
As pedestrian laws in Missouri and Illinois are relatively complicated, it's vital to seek out a pedestrian accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO immediately if you were injured by a vehicle. Call a pedestrian accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO today at 866-382-4167.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Elsberry, MO?
That changes between cases. Some of the entities commonly found responsible include:
- The driver, for example if they were driving distracted, or otherwise acted behind the wheel in a careless manner.
- A motor vehicle manufacturer in a product liability claim, for example if a car's tires are prone to blowing out.
- The government body responsible for keeping a particular area safe, for example if there a sign that makes a pedestrian difficult to see from a driver's perspective.
In some cases, multiple parties may share accountability. For example, if a drunk driver hits you in a lowly lit crosswalk, it may be possible to make a claim against the driver and the public entity who were supposed to keep the area secure for pedestrians. Your pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will explore every possible contributing factor to your accident your accident in order to secure you maximum compensation you deserve. This is especially important if if one party, in conjunction with your underinsured motorist coverage, is not able to cover all of your damages.
Can I Still Recover Compensation in Elsberry, MO if My Pedestrian Accident Was Partially My Fault?
Both Missouri and Illinois have what's referred to as a "comparative negligence" rule. That means that you may still be awarded compensation for your damages, but it will be lowered based on the percentage of fault you share for the accident. For example, if all of your damages come to $100,000, but the fact finder determines you were 40% at fault, you would only receive $60,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.060, you can still recover some compensation even if you are 99% to blame for the accident. However, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 you would would not be able to collect anything if most of the accident was your fault.
Attempting to shift responsibility onto you is a common tactic insurance companies use to devalue claims. Your Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will deal directly with the insurance adjuster and make sure you are not taken advantage of by a selfish insurance company.
How Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Elsberry, MO Help With My Case?
Your Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Haloversen Klote will utilize our legal skill to level the playing field. When you hire us, we start investigating immediately. We also keep you informed throughout your claim. On top of that, your Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer will:
- Obtain all evidence to help with your claim, including eyewitness testimony, photographs, police reports and more.
- Work alongside our network of Elsberry, MO crash experts to help determine liability in your claim.
- Work in concert with our network of Elsberry, MO medical experts to precisely value your damages.
- Handle all investigation, documentation, litigation and mediation so you can spend your energy on recovering.
- Fight back against insurance companies who do not want to pay you what they owe you.
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury when the insurance adjuster will not be fair in negotiations.
How Much Compensation Should I Expect to Recover?
That will vary depending on the particulars of your injury, the scope of your damages and the experience and knowledge of your Elsberry, MO injury claim lawyer. With our assistance you can recover compensation for:
- Property damage, like damage to your vehicle
- Lost wages if your injury prevented you from being able to fulfill the functions of your job
- Diminished earning capacity if your injuries result in disability
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors' visits
- Assistive devices such as crutches
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
Your Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
Below are some helpful links and legal FAQs from your Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote:
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
- If an Insurance Company Pays for Property Damage, Do I Still Need an Attorney for my Injuries Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement?
- Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
- Who Is Liable in a Car Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer if I'm in a Car Accident?
- The Growing Trend Of Distracted Driving
- Can I Sue if I Was Partially At Fault?
- Is There a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
Check out the following links to discover what other services we offer in Elsberry, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Elsberry, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
If you or a family member was hurt in an accident because of someone else's negligence, trust in your Elsberry, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote to be there when you need help the most. We know you did not expect or deserve to become injured. Our Elsberry, MO clients matter to us and we will stand by your side until you get justice for your injuries. You do not pay unless we win. Call a Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.