Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis
Oakland, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Evaluation | Oakland, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Oakland, MO. Pedestrians are at heightened risk when drivers act recklessly, and pedestrian accidents can cause terrible injuries that result in unanticipated economic, emotional and physical burdens for the victims. The Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer team serves the the injured and vulnerable throughout Missouri and Southern Illinois by giving them the exceptional legal counsel that large insurance companies have access to. We are here to defend your rights, hold the person or organization that harmed you accountable and secure you the full financial recovery you need to truly recover. Call a Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics | Oakland, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that, nationwide in 2019, there were 6,205 pedestrian fatalities and over 76,000 injuries.
According to data from the Missouri State Highway Patrol Traffic Compendium, in 2020 in Missouri 132 pedestrians were killed were killed in collisions and 1,314 non-passengers suffered injuries.
According to reporting from the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2020 175 Illinois pedestrians died in wrecks and 3,138 sustained injuries.
Do Pedestrians Always Have the Right of Way in Oakland, MO?
While drivers of motor vehicles owe everyone else on the Oakland, MO roads a duty of care, pedestrians also have certain obligations under Illinois and Missouri laws:
- Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §300.375 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1002:
- Pedestrians must obey traffic signals.
- When there are no traffic signals, vehicles should yield to a pedestrian that is halfway across the road.
- Pedestrians cannot suddenly leave a curb in a way that a driver will not be able to see them in time.
- Under Missouri Revised Statute §300.390 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1003:
- If there is no crosswalk, and a pedestrian is not at an intersection, vehicles have the right of way.
- Pedestrians must wait for vehicles to pass if they are crossing on a street where a pedestrian bridge has been provided.
- In both states, you cannot cross at adjacent intersections where there are traffic signals except at a crosswalk.
If you were injured as a pedestrian, it's essential to have a pedestrian accident lawyer in Oakland, MO in your corner who understands and can help guide you through the complexities of Illinois and Missouri Law. Get in touch with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Oakland, MO straight away at 866-382-4167.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Oakland, MO?
That depends on the specifics of your case. Some of the parties commonly found liable include:
- The driver, for instance if they were running a red light, or otherwise driving recklessly.
- A car manufacturer in a product liability claim, for example if a car's tires are prone to blowing out.
- The municipal body responsible for keeping a particular area safe, for example if there are malfunctioning traffic lights.
In some cases, we can hold various entities liable. For example, if a distracted driver hits you in a lowly lit crosswalk, it may be possible to get a financial recovery from the driver and the government entity who were supposed to keep the area safe for pedestrians. Your pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will look into every possible liable party in your accident in order to secure you full compensation you deserve. This is especially important if if one party, in combination with your underinsured motorist coverage, is not able to reimburse you for all of your damages.
What if I Am Partially to Blame for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Oakland, MO?
Both Missouri and Illinois have what's known as a "comparative negligence" rule. In a comparative fault state, you will collect compensation for the percentage of the accident you are not responsible for. For example, if your damages total $100,000, but the fact finder ascertains you were 40% at fault, you would only receive $60,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.060, you can still recover some compensation even if you are 99% to blame for the accident. However, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 you would would not be able to collect anything if the majority of the accident was your fault.
Insurance adjusters often try to use comparative negligence to lessen your payout, or avoid reimbursing you entirely. Your Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will push back against the insurance adjuster and make sure you are not taken advantage of by a callous insurance company.
What Will a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Oakland, MO Do for Me?
Your Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Haloversen Klote will utilize our legal skill to level the playing field. When you hire us, we will immediately work to identify who is liable for your injuries. We work to keep you informed throughout your claim. Furthermore, your Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer will:
- Acquire all evidence to help with your claim, including eyewitness dispositions, photographs, police reports and more.
- Work alongside our network of Oakland, MO crash experts to help determine accountability for your injuries.
- Work in concert with our network of Oakland, MO medical experts to ensure we know the precise worth of your claim.
- Oversee all investigation, documentation, litigation and negotiation so you can focus on recovering.
- Stand up to insurance adjusters who do not want to pay you what they owe you.
- Take the fight to trial when we cannot get the compensation you are owed in mediation.
How Much Is My Injury Claim Worth?
That depends on the specifics of your accident, the significance of your injuries and the experience and knowledge of your Oakland, MO injury claim lawyer. We can help you receive a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
- Wage loss from time spent recovering
- Diminished earning potential if your injuries result in disability
- Medical expenses, for instance:
- Urgent care visits
- Follow up visits
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Your Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
Below are some helpful links and legal FAQs from your Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote:
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
- If an Insurance Company Pays for Property Damage, Do I Still Need an Attorney for my Injuries Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement?
- Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
- Who Is Liable in a Car Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer if I'm in a Car Accident?
- The Growing Trend Of Distracted Driving
- Can I Sue if I Was Partially At Fault?
- Is There a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
Click on the these links to find out what other services we offer in Oakland, MO:
Oakland, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that was not their fault, trust in your Oakland, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote to be there when you need help the most. You should not have to suffer because of someone else's mistakes. Our Oakland, MO clients matter to us and we will stand by your side throughout your claim. We charge no attorneys' fees unless we win. Call a Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer in Oakland, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.