Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis
Columbia, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Evaluation | Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbia, MO. Pedestrians are at increased risk when drivers act recklessly, and pedestrian accidents can cause devastating injuries that create unexpected financial, emotional and physical hardships for the injured party. The Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer team has dedicated their careers to battling against large insurance companies that try to avoid their obligation to reimburse you. We are here to fight for justice on your behalf, hold the people that hurt you responsible and get you the complete financial recovery you need to be made whole again. Reach out to a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents? | Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that, nationwide in 2019, 6,205 non-passengers were killed in car accidents and 76,000 were injured.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Traffic Compendium, in 2020 in Missouri 132 pedestrians were killed were killed in crashes and 1,314 pedestrians suffered injuries.
According to the Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics, in 2020 175 Illinois pedestrians were killed in crashes and 3,138 suffered injuries.
Do Pedestrians Always Have the Right of Way in Columbia, MO?
While drivers owe other drivers, passengers and pedestrians a duty of care, there are safety measures pedestrians must observe according to Illinois and Missouri laws:
- Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §300.375 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1002:
- Pedestrians must obey traffic signals.
- When traffic signals are not present, cars, trucks and motorcycles must yield to a pedestrian that is halfway across the street.
- Pedestrians cannot all of a sudden enter traffic in a way that a driver will not be able to account for them before hitting them.
- Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §300.390 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1003:
- Any pedestrian crossing where there is no crosswalk and not at an intersection must yield to vehicles.
- Pedestrians must wait for vehicles to pass if they are crossing on a road where a pedestrian tunnel has been implemented.
- In both Missouri and Illinois, you cannot cross between adjacent intersections where there are traffic signals except at a crosswalk.
If you were injured as a pedestrian, it's crucial to have a pedestrian accident lawyer in Columbia, MO by your side who understands and can help guide you through the complexities of Illinois and Missouri Law. Get in touch with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Columbia, MO today at 866-382-4167.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Columbia, MO?
That can be any one or a variety of parties. Some of the parties we can seek compensation from are:
- The driver, for instance if they were driving drunk, or otherwise driving carelessly.
- A car manufacturer in a product liability claim, for instance if a car's tires are prone to blowing out.
- The municipal body who are charged with overseeing the safety of an intersection or street, for example if there a sign that makes someone crossing the street or on the side of the road difficult to see from a car.
In some cases, multiple parties may share liability. For example, if a drunk driver hits when they could not see you coming because of a sign, it may be possible to make a claim against the driver and the municipal agency responsible for the safety of that crosswalk. Your pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will look into every possible liable party in your accident in order to secure you the best possible financial recovery you deserve. This is particularly important if if one party, in conjunction with your underinsured motorist coverage, is not able to cover all of your damages.
What if I Am Partially to Blame for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Columbia, MO?
Both Missouri and Illinois are considered to be "comparative negligence" states. In a comparative fault state, you might still recover compensation for your compensation, but it will be reduced based on the percentage of fault you share for the accident. For example, if all of your damages come to $100,000, but the fact finder ascertains you are bear 20% of the responsibility for your injuries, you would collect $80,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.060, you can still recover some compensation even if you are 99% to blame for the accident. However, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 you would excluded from any compensation if you were more than 50% responsible.
Insurance adjusters often try to use comparative negligence to lessen your payout, or avoid compensating you entirely. Your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will deal directly with the insurance adjuster and make sure you are not taken advantage of by a powerful insurance company.
What Will a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbia, MO Do for Me?
Your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Haloversen Klote will use our legal experience to let an insurance adjuster know that they are going to have to reimburse you for all of your damages. When you hire us, we will immediately work to identify who is liable for your injuries. We also give you all the information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. In addition, your Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer will:
- Gather all the evidence we can use to prove your claim, such as eyewitness dispositions, security footage, police records and more.
- Work in tandem with our network of Columbia, MO collision experts to help determine liability for your injuries.
- Work with our network of Columbia, MO medical experts to ensure you are getting the full value of your injuries.
- Manage all investigation, documentation, litigation and negotiation so you can spend your energy on healing.
- Fight back against insurance adjusters who do not want to pay you what they owe you.
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury when we cannot get the settlement offer you deserve in mediation.
How Much Compensation Can I Expect to Collect?
That depends on the particulars of your injury, the extent of your damages and the skill of your Columbia, MO injury claim lawyer. We can help you be awarded a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, like damage to your car
- Wage loss for any time periods where your injury did not allow you to work
- Decreased earning capacity if your injuries have permanent consequences on your ability to complete tasks at your job
- Medical expenses, for instance:
- Urgent care visits
- Subsequent doctors' visits
- Assistive devices such as crutches
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
The following are some helpful articles and legal FAQs from your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote:
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
- If an Insurance Company Pays for Property Damage, Do I Still Need an Attorney for my Injuries Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement?
- Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
- Who Is Liable in a Car Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer if I'm in a Car Accident?
- The Growing Trend Of Distracted Driving
- Can I Sue if I Was Partially At Fault?
- Is There a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
Take a look at the links below to find out what other services we offer in Columbia, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
If you or a loved one was harmed in an accident because of someone else's negligence, your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve. You do not have to go it alone when someone else turns your life upside down. Our Columbia, MO clients matter to us and we will stand by your side until the responsible parties are held accountable. We charge no attorneys' fees unless we win. Call a Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer in Columbia, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.