Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis
O'Fallon, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Review | O'Fallon, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL. Pedestrians are at increased risk when drivers act thoughtless, and pedestrian accidents can cause terrible injuries that create instant financial, emotional and physical hardships for the injured party. The Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer team serves the injured throughout Missouri and Southern Illinois by providing them with the accomplished legal counsel that large insurance companies have access to. We are here to fight for justice on your behalf, hold the people that injured you responsible and win you the full financial recovery you need to truly recover. Get in touch with a O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents? | O'Fallon, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration stated that, nationwide in 2019, there were 6,205 pedestrian fatalities and over 76,000 injuries.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Traffic Compendium, in 2020 in Missouri 132 non-passengers were killed in collisions and 1,314 pedestrians were harmed.
According to reporting from the Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics, in 2020 175 Illinois non-passengers were killed in accidents and 3,138 were injured.
Do Pedestrians Always Have the Right of Way in O'Fallon, IL?
While drivers of motor vehicles owe other drivers, passengers and pedestrians a duty of care, pedestrians also have certain obligations under Illinois and Missouri laws:
- Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §300.375 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1002:
- Pedestrians must obey traffic signals.
- When traffic signals are not present, vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is approaching the halfway point in the road.
- Pedestrians cannot suddenly run into traffic in a way that a driver will not be able to account for them before hitting them.
- Under Missouri Revised Statute §300.390 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1003:
- Any pedestrian crossing where there is no crosswalk and not at an intersection must yield to vehicles.
- Pedestrians must yield to roadway traffic when a pedestrian tunnel has been placed.
- In both Missouri and Illinois, you cannot cross at adjacent intersections where there are traffic signals except at a crosswalk.
As pedestrian laws in Missouri and Illinois are relatively complex, it's crucial to seek out a pedestrian accident lawyer in O'Fallon, IL right away if you were harmed by a vehicle. Contact a pedestrian accident lawyer in O'Fallon, IL straight away at 866-382-4167.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in O'Fallon, IL?
That can be any one or a variety of parties. Some of the people, companies and organizations your attorney at Halvorsen Klote can hold liable are:
- The driver, for instance if they were not paying attention, or otherwise driving negligently.
- A motor vehicle manufacturer, dealer or mechanic in a product liability claim, for example if a car's brakes malfunction.
- The government agency responsible for overseeing the safety of an intersection or road, for example if there is lack of signage.
In some cases, we can hold various people, companies and organizations at-fault. For example, if a drunk driver hits when they could not see you coming because of a sign, you may be able to seek compensation from the driver and the public entity who were supposed to keep the area safe for pedestrians. Your pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will look into every possible liable party in your accident in order to get you maximum compensation you are owed. This is vitally important if one party cannot pay all of your damages, and the rest exceeds your underinsured motorist coverage.
What if I Am Partially At Fault for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in O'Fallon, IL?
Both Missouri and Illinois have what's known as a "comparative negligence" rule. In a comparative fault state, you may still receive compensation for your injuries, but it will be decreased depending on the percentage of fault you share for the accident. For example, if the sum of your damages is $100,000, but the fact finder ascertains you were 40% at fault, you would only receive $60,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.060, you can still recover some compensation even if you are 99% to blame for the accident. However, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 you would would not be able to collect any compensation if you bear over half of the liability for the accident.
Trying to shift fault onto you is a common deception insurance companies use to avoid paying out claims. Your O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will push back against the insurance adjuster and make sure you are not mistreated by an uncaring insurance company.
What Will a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL Do for Me?
Your O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Haloversen Klote will utilize our legal skill to level the playing field. When you hire us, we will immediately work to determine who is liable for your injuries. We also give you all the information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. On top of that, your Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer will:
- Gather all relevant evidence, including eyewitness testimony, surveillance video, police reports and more.
- Work in tandem with our network of O'Fallon, IL collision experts to help ascertain liability in your claim.
- Work with our network of O'Fallon, IL medical experts to precisely value your damages.
- Handle all investigation, documentation, litigation and negotiation so you can focus on recovering.
- Fight back against insurance adjusters who do not want to pay you what they owe you.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury when the insurance company will not be fair in mediation.
How Much Compensation Can I Expect to Recover?
That depends on the individual circumstances of your accident, the seriousness of your injuries and the experience and knowledge of your O'Fallon, IL injury claim lawyer. With our assistance you can secure a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Diminished earning potential if your injuries have permanent consequences on your ability to complete tasks at your place of work
- Medical costs, such as:
- Urgent care visits
- Subsequent doctors' appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
Your O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
The following are some helpful links and legal FAQs from your O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote:
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
- If an Insurance Company Pays for Property Damage, Do I Still Need an Attorney for my Injuries Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement?
- Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
- Who Is Liable in a Car Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer if I'm in a Car Accident?
- The Growing Trend Of Distracted Driving
- Can I Sue if I Was Partially At Fault?
- Is There a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
Check out the following links to discover what other services we offer in O'Fallon, IL:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
O'Fallon, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
If you or someone you care about was injured in an accident because of someone else's negligence, your O'Fallon, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to get you the compensation you deserve. You should not have to suffer because of someone else's mistakes. We take all of our client's cases in O'Fallon, IL personally and will stand by your side throughout your claim. You do not pay unless we win. Call a Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer in O'Fallon, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.