Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in O'Fallon, IL
O'Fallon, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | O'Fallon, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in O'Fallon, IL. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in O'Fallon, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the O'Fallon, IL Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The disparity speaks to the terrible damage people can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in O'Fallon, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your O'Fallon, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from O'Fallon, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the O'Fallon, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in O'Fallon, IL?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. According to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our O'Fallon, IL roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your O'Fallon, IL bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My O'Fallon, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote O'Fallon, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? A seasoned and knowledgeable O'Fallon, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in O'Fallon, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our O'Fallon, IL bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in O'Fallon, IL:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in O'Fallon, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our O'Fallon, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in O'Fallon, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.