Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Louis
Granite City, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Consultation | Granite City, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Granite City, IL. Pedestrians are at increased risk when drivers act carelessly, and pedestrian accidents can cause devastating injuries that result in immediate economic, emotional and physical hardships for the victims. The Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer team helps the the injured and vulnerable throughout Missouri and Southern Illinois by giving them the expert legal counsel that large insurance companies use to avoid paying people the compensation they're entitled to. We are here to defend your rights, hold the people that harmed you responsible and get you the complete compensation you need to be made whole again. Get in touch with a Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics | Granite City, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that, nationwide in 2019, 6,205 non-passengers were killed in car accidents and 76,000 were injured.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Traffic Compendium, in 2020 in Missouri 132 pedestrians were killed were killed in collisions and 1,314 pedestrians were injured.
According to data from the Illinois Crash Facts and Statistics, in 2020 175 Illinois pedestrians were killed in crashes and 3,138 were harmed.
What Are the Pedestrian Laws in Granite City, IL?
While drivers of cars, trucks and motorcycles owe other drivers, passengers and pedestrians a duty of care, there are safety measures pedestrians must follow according to Illinois and Missouri laws:
- According to Missouri Revised Statute §300.375 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1002:
- Pedestrians must follow what traffic signals say when they are there.
- When there are no traffic signals, cars, trucks and motorcycles must yield to a pedestrian that is halfway across the street.
- Pedestrians cannot all of a sudden leave a curb in a way that a driver will not be able to see them in time.
- Under Missouri Revised Statute §300.390 and 625 ILCS 5/11-1003:
- If there is no crosswalk, and a pedestrian is not at an intersection, vehicles have the right of way.
- Pedestrians must wait for vehicles to pass if they are crossing on a road where a pedestrian tunnel has been provided.
- In both states, you cannot cut between adjacent intersections where there are traffic signals except at a crosswalk.
Because pedestrian laws in Missouri and Illinois are relatively intricate, it's essential to hire a pedestrian accident lawyer in Granite City, IL right away if you were injured by a vehicle. Call a pedestrian accident lawyer in Granite City, IL straight away at 866-382-4167.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Granite City, IL?
That changes between cases. Some of the parties we can seek compensation from include:
- The driver, for example if they were driving distracted, or otherwise acted behind the wheel in a negligent way.
- A car manufacturer, dealer or mechanic in a product liability lawsuit, for example if a car's brakes malfunction.
- The public entity responsible for overseeing the security of an intersection or street, for example if there a sign that makes someone crossing the street or on the side of the road difficult to see from a driver's perspective.
In some cases, multiple parties may share responsibility. For example, if a drowsy driver hits you in a lowly lit crosswalk, you may be able to get a financial recovery from the driver and the government agency who were supposed to keep the area safe for pedestrians. Your pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will explore every possible contributing factor to your accident your accident in order to secure you the maximum financial recovery you are entitled to. This is extremely important if your damages exceed a driver's policy limit and your own underinsured motorist coverage.
What if I Am Partially to Blame for My Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Granite City, IL?
Both Missouri and Illinois are considered to be "comparative negligence" states. In a comparative fault state, you may still recover compensation for your damages, but it will be lowered depending on the your portion of the blame for the accident. For example, if all of your damages come to $100,000, but the fact finder determines you are bear 20% of the responsibility for your injuries, you would collect $80,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.060, even if it's found that the accident was 99% your fault, you would still get you could still receive $1,000 for that injury. However, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116 you would be barred from recovering any compensation if you bear over half of the liability for the accident.
Trying to shift blame onto you is a common tactic insurance companies use to devalue claims. Your Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to resist those tricks and get you the financial recovery you deserve.
What Will a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Granite City, IL Do for Me?
Your Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Haloversen Klote will employ our legal experience to let an insurance adjuster know that they are going to have to pay you for all of your damages. When you hire us, we get started on your case right away. We work to give you a personalized, client-based experience where you know exactly where your case is at. In addition, your Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer will:
- Gather all evidence to help with your claim, including eyewitness dispositions, photographs, police records and more.
- Work in concert with our network of Granite City, IL accident experts to help ascertain liability for your injuries.
- Work in concert with our network of Granite City, IL medical experts to ensure we know the precise worth of your claim.
- Handle all investigation, documentation, litigation and mediation so you can spend your energy on recovering.
- Make sure the insurance company know they have to pay you what they owe you.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury when we cannot get the compensation you are owed in negotiations.
How Much Compensation Should I Expect to Receive?
That will vary depending on the specifics of your case, the gravity of your injuries and the talent and dedication of your Granite City, IL injury claim lawyer. With our assistance you can collect compensation for:
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
- Lost wages if your injury prevented you from being able to fulfill the functions of your job
- Diminished earning potential if your injuries have permanent consequences on your ability to complete tasks at your place of work
- Medical costs, like:
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors' appointments
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or car
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
Your Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
The following are some helpful links and legal FAQs from your Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote:
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
- If an Insurance Company Pays for Property Damage, Do I Still Need an Attorney for my Injuries Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement?
- Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Court?
- Who Is Liable in a Car Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer if I'm in a Car Accident?
- The Growing Trend Of Distracted Driving
- Can I Sue if I Was Partially At Fault?
- Is There a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?
Take a look at the these links to see what other services we offer in Granite City, IL:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Granite City, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
If you or someone you love was injured in an accident that was not their fault, your Granite City, IL pedestrian accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to get you the compensation you are owed. You do not have to go it alone when someone else turns your life upside down. Our Granite City, IL clients matter to us and we will stand by your side until the responsible parties are held accountable. You do not pay unless we win. Call a Halvorsen Klote pedestrian accident lawyer in Granite City, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.