Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Granite City, IL
Granite City, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Granite City, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Granite City, IL. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Granite City, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Granite City, IL?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Granite City, IL to secure the best possible outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Granite City, IL can give support in a variety of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as few money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their legal obligation to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to bring a legal action and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Granite City, IL trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case review through a jury verdict.
Granite City, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over twice that in traffice-related deaths. The disparity speaks to the ruinous damage motorists can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Granite City, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Granite City, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Granite City, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Granite City, IL residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Granite City, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Granite City, IL?
Who is liable depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Granite City, IL roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Granite City, IL bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Granite City, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Granite City, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? An accomplished and talented Granite City, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Granite City, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Granite City, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Granite City, IL
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Granite City, IL:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Granite City, IL | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Granite City, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Granite City, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.