Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO
Elsberry, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Elsberry, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Elsberry, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The disparity points to the horrible damage people can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Elsberry, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Elsberry, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Elsberry, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Elsberry, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Elsberry, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and skilled Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Elsberry, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Elsberry, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Elsberry, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.