Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO
Elsberry, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Elsberry, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Elsberry, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Elsberry, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO to ensure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Elsberry, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to provide as minimal money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, analyze medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Elsberry, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial consultation through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Elsberry, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The deviation speaks to the terrible damage drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Elsberry, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Elsberry, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Elsberry, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Elsberry, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Elsberry, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Elsberry, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole played a part in your accident, your Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An accomplished and talented Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Elsberry, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you recover physically and optimize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Elsberry, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Elsberry, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Elsberry, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Elsberry, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.