What to Do After a Car Accident in Harrisburg, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Harrisburg, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Harrisburg, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're legally entitled to. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Harrisburg, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring everyday people in Harrisburg, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Harrisburg, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's imperative to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Harrisburg, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Harrisburg, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Harrisburg, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Harrisburg, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive maximum compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Harrisburg, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Harrisburg, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Harrisburg, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Harrisburg, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Harrisburg, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Harrisburg, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Harrisburg, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Harrisburg, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Harrisburg, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Harrisburg, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Harrisburg, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.