What to Do After a Car Accident in Nixa, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Nixa, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Nixa, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They are always unanticipated, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Nixa, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring everyday people in Nixa, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Nixa, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Nixa, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Nixa, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Nixa, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Nixa, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Nixa, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Nixa, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Nixa, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Nixa, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Nixa, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Nixa, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Nixa, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Nixa, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Nixa, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Nixa, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Nixa, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.