What to Do After a Car Accident in Oakville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Oakville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Oakville, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They are always unexpected, and can lead to considerable physical, emotional and financial damage. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Oakville, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring that those injured in Oakville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Oakville, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Oakville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Oakville, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you consult with with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Oakville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Oakville, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your future.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Oakville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Oakville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Oakville, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Oakville, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Oakville, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Oakville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Oakville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Oakville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Oakville, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Oakville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Oakville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.