What to Do After a Car Accident in Warrenton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Warrenton, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Warrenton, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Warrenton, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Warrenton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Warrenton, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Warrenton, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Warrenton, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Warrenton, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Warrenton, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Warrenton, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who caused accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Warrenton, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Warrenton, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Warrenton, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Warrenton, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Warrenton, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Warrenton, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Warrenton, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Warrenton, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Warrenton, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Warrenton, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Warrenton, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.