What to Do After a Car Accident in Cottleville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cottleville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Cottleville, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can cause ruinous physical, mental and economic damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Cottleville, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring the average person in Cottleville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Cottleville, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Cottleville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Cottleville, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Cottleville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Cottleville, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Cottleville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Cottleville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Cottleville, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Cottleville, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Cottleville, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Cottleville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Cottleville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Cottleville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Cottleville, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Cottleville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Cottleville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.