Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cottleville, MO
Cottleville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cottleville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cottleville, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Cottleville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Cottleville, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for over twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Cottleville, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Cottleville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Cottleville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Cottleville, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Cottleville, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Cottleville, MO?
Who is liable depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Cottleville, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Cottleville, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Cottleville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Cottleville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and knowledgeable Cottleville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Cottleville, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Cottleville, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Cottleville, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cottleville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Cottleville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Cottleville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.